How Do I Correct a W-2 in Patriot Software?

Payroll Help

Your Payroll Software questions answered here

How Do I Correct a W-2 in Patriot Software?

Even after you download and print W-2 Forms in Patriot Software and distribute W-2 forms to your employees, you can still make a correction if needed.  This depends on whether you have already filed your company’s summary W-3 with the Social Security Administration.  If you are a Full-Service Payroll customer, contact us and we can confirm whether we filed your W-2s/W-3.

Choose from these scenarios, and follow the instructions:

If you have not given a W-2 to an employee and need to make a correction…

Simply make the change in Patriot Software and download the W-2 again. Patriot Software will retain a copy of the most recent W-2.

If you have already given the employee a W-2…

Either with a paper form or by Posting Electronic W-2s in Patriot’s Employee Portal, but have not yet filed with the Social Security Administration (SSA), make the change in Patriot Software, and download the W-2 again.  If you are giving a paper Form W-2 to the employee, write “CORRECTED” on the new W-2 copies (B, C, and 2), and give the corrected W-2 to the employee.  If you are posting an electronic copy of the W-2 to the employee portal, you can post the most recent downloaded version again.  Employees with a valid email address on their record will be notified by an automatic email that an updated Form W-2 is available for viewing.  Electronic copies will not have “CORRECTED” appear on the W-2.

If the incorrect Form W-2 is on a page with a correct Form W-2, send the entire page to the SSA. The incorrect form will not be processed. Do not write “CORRECTED” on Copy A of Form W-2.

If you have already filed the W-2/W-3 with the Social Security Administration…

If you discover a change is needed on a W-2 after you have filed the W-2/W-3 with the Social Security Administration, you will need to complete corrected W-2 and W-3 forms with the previously reported and the corrected information:

  1. Make the change in Patriot Software.
  2. Download the W-2 again.  You can also get the corrected amounts by viewing the W-2 Summary Report.
  3. Complete the W-2C (Corrected Wage and Tax Statement) for each employee that needs to be corrected, and complete a Form W-3C for the totals.
  4. Give the corrected copy to the employee and submit the W-3C to the SSA. You can file the corrected Form W-3C using a PDF filler and send the paper form to the SSA, or online in your Social Security Administration Business Services Online Account.  For more details, see Filing Your W-3 Using Patriot Software.

Note: You do not need to use Form W-2C to correct an employee’s address. If you have already filed with the SSA, follow these instructions for correcting the employee address.

Was this page helpful?

Get Started
Try it free

Sign up today for a free, no-obligation 30-day trial.

Try It Free for 30 Days
Get Started
See a demo

Want to check out the software before your free trial?

See a Demo